Many projects involve some component of research or interpretation of data. Research is often the basis for developing a program.
How we can help you
Fortin Consulting can conduct literature searches, interviews, observations, prepare reports and present results.
Examples of our work
- FCI researched winter maintenance practices for parking lots. The research included interviews of plowing contractors and building managers, observations of practices and gathering of data.
- FCI conducted a literature search on the fate of 2,4-D in aquatic environments and prepared a report summarizing the findings.
- FCI conducted interviews of City, County and Township Public works supervisors to determine the effectiveness of select training classes.
- FCI reviews county wide volunteer stream monitoring data. Looks for errors and omissions, new types of data that may be gathered in future monitoring and suggests changes in protocol that might improve results. FCI analyzes the data and prepares an annual report on the state of the rivers for the county to distribute.
- FCI wrote TRS 1411 for the City of Burnsville and Minnesota DOT on Chloride Free Ice and Snow Control alternatives. It looks into alternative products from chloride, alternative pavements, and at changing public expectations and behavior.
- FCI participates in the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area (TCMA) Chloride Management Plan, providing research on the best management practices in winter maintenance and possible reductions in chloride contamination of the environment.
- FCI tested fertilizer spreaders to determine the variation in spreading patterns and amounts.
- FCI inspected lawn fertilizer bags to determine contents and directions and compared these to the professional recommendations developed by the Technical Expert group for the Turfgrass maintenance training. FCI then developed simplified recommendations to provide to citizens.
- FCI identified and inspected pet stores and nurseries to determine if they were selling aquatic invasive species and prepared a report on our findings.
- FCI is currently working with the University of Minnesota to identify contributions of chloride from water softening. FCI staff will be looking specifically at residential water softening and identifying practices to help reduce the amount of salt entering our waters from this source.